Thread: New start up

New start up

Hi my name is Matthew, I am starting up a Jbj 12 gallon tank. Thank you to Limey for setting me up with some nice rock and softies.

I just wanted to get some advice on how I should start up and what type of fish you think would be be easy to keep healthy.

Limey also gave me two good books I'm starting up now.
    Last edited by Deke Snipe Celly; 04-06-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Welcome to Reefescape!!
    30 gallon zero edge overflow tank. 50 gallon sump; euro reef RS80 skimmer Jager heaters; Apex controller; two Mak4 return pumps. Physoban and carbon reactors. Maxspec led light for fuge. 2 ai sol fixtures on display.

Welcome! In a 12 gallon tank you are very limited. You could do a pistol Shrimp/ goby combo.. a clownfish, a cardinal fish, a peaceful damsel like a springeri damsel. I wouldn't do more then 2-3 fish.

Here is a link from liveaquaria where you can read up on some great nano fish!

http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/aqu....cfm?c=15+2124

I will repeat the following
    -Pistol shrimp
    - goby (any that has symbiosis with the shrimp
    - and a clown fish hosting and hairy
    Mushroom.
    ( I don't think the light is enough
    To support an anemone) if it is..then go with anemone
    IF YOU LOVE THE REEF.. SAVE IT!
    E-MAIL ME. WEB PAGE
    1999-33g Fresh ,2006 planted,
    2001-2014 90g Reef
    2004-30g Saltwater ,
    2014 March 16, 125G
    ,Mak4 for return,DIY sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF37) driven by a Mak4,DIY Calcium reactor(PM),
    MJ MODS 1x400, wp25, RW15,Apex Pro, ATS with leds
    Lighting: 96 X 3W LED's

the monti's and SPS did very well in this tank but there is no Skimmer but water regularly can combat this.

the lighting is two compact flourscents.

Thanks guys, still getting used to everything, will be looking for a little more rock and clowns soon

Welcome to the form Matthew. Just one thing to never loose sight on with the saltwater hobby........always take things slow meaning not to make any changes to your system at once. The larger the tank, the more stability your system has. Having a nano tank just means you have to pay a little more attention to your system. Good luck and ask the questions if you are unsure. There are many knowledgeable folks on this form that can help steer in the right direction.

Welcome to the forum Matthew. I can't help you with your tank unfortunately, all my experience (except I guess for quarantine systems) is with much larger water volume. I agree though to take it very slow and likely stay away from anything that requires cleaner water and stable parameters (like sps). Maybe a nice mushroom or zoa tank? For fish, something small and peaceful like some cardinals?

Thread Information