Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boxing Week Sales

always a good idea. There's a thread on the Reef Central sps forum where Andrew aka Biggles from Australia lost a large number of sps due to s/rtn after making a few mistakes including not testing his salt before a water change. As a result, his salinity dropped and his alkalinity spiked. I'll never really know what happened to my tank, but I hope the worst of it is behind me. It takes a long time to get one's tank looking like one wants, but a scary short time for it to go downhill.

I feel we are our own worst enemies as the situation in the tank changes over time and we want it back immediately and that's where we run into problems as we sometimes rush it

I know i do, as I have no patience. Which creates bigger issues in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew D View Post
    always a good idea. There's a thread on the Reef Central sps forum where Andrew aka Biggles from Australia lost a large number of sps due to s/rtn after making a few mistakes including not testing his salt before a water change. As a result, his salinity dropped and his alkalinity spiked.
    Not sure if you guys recall, but this was exactly what happened to me using RC salt about 1.5 years ago. After a long drawn out affair with me testing using various kits and finally sending them a sample of salt from the batch, they reluctantly admitted it was an out spec batch...............hummm.......go figure. They did make it right (sort of) by shipping me 3 new boxes (which lasted me a long time because the size of my system) but corals were not compensated for. I do however test every new batch (pail or box) now to avoid future recurrence. We shouldn't have to go to this extent in this hobby..........or should we?? Is it any different that taking a race car down the drag strip after an adjustment for testing and tuning??

So that's a good topic for discussion. What do you test? Alkalinity salinity and calcium?
    30 gallon zero edge overflow tank. 50 gallon sump; euro reef RS80 skimmer Jager heaters; Apex controller; two Mak4 return pumps. Physoban and carbon reactors. Maxspec led light for fuge. 2 ai sol fixtures on display.

I guess it would depend on the size of the water change to total tank volume. If more than 10% then I woudl probably also test for magnesium. Maybe ph but it's been a long while since I tested my ph. I would also make sure the temperature is not that far off that of the display system.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    So that's a good topic for discussion. What do you test? Alkalinity salinity and calcium?
    Just to clarify from Andrew's comment.......I test the NEW batch of seawater that I have prepared ahead of time for future water changes to ensure the batch is within advertised specifications. I only do this once, on first use for each new pail or box (not every time I mix a fresh batch). In addition to the Alk, & Ca, I also check Mg at the specified salinity ( in my case I run @ 1.025). Note that the concentration can vary with salinity levels.

Maybe this where Big Shows test kit would have its value as I know we all do not test as much as we should, not sure it's laziness or more that we feel more confident.
    I only test when I see an issue and that comes back to my earlier statement always wanting to get it all to the correct parameters ASAP
    Where as it could have been off these levels for a very long time.

Soon time for a New Years resolution or two - test my first salt mix from a fresh batch along with my tank on a more regular basis (currently about two - three times a year).

Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    Maybe this where Big Shows test kit would have its value as I know we all do not test as much as we should, not sure it's laziness or more that we feel more confident.
    I only test when I see an issue and that comes back to my earlier statement always wanting to get it all to the correct parameters ASAP
    Where as it could have been off these levels for a very long time.

Soon time for a New Years resolution or two - test my first salt mix from a fresh batch along with my tank on a more regular basis (currently about two - three times a year).
    Its funny you mention that Tony. Now that the I own and use the Idip I just recently stated testing NSW (new salt water). My main concern is ALk and the IDip is very easy and quick to test ALK.
    550g reef system + 7' Frag table
    - Vertex Alpha Kone 300
    - x7 mp40ES
    - Controlled via Profilux ...x2
    - All ATI Fixtures (10x80w, 8x80w, 8x36w, 10x54w)
    .....A bunch of other stuff

BIGSHOW FRAGS

Thread Information